2008/02/21

Mac security

Another day, another computer security rant and rebuttal. Here’s a recent piece over at MacUser by Dan Moren.

Now, don’t let it be said that I disagree with the article in general. This is gold:

Okay, if an instant message window pops up on your computer, with a screenname you’ve never seen, asks for your Social Security Number and you give it to them, then frankly you didn’t deserve that identity in the first place.

But I feel Dan goes a little overboard here in his refutal of whatever some jackass is saying:

Mac users need security software, too. Oh, I know: Mac lovers will respond to this statement by puffing up their chests, raising their chins and sniffing, “Ha, my Mac always has been and always will be virus free. I don’t need no stinking security software.”

Who are these people? Where does one find them? Maybe it’s those same people who go to oxygen bars and drink fancy bottled waters and have weekend quail-shooting parties before jetting off to some balmy Caribbean island where they play shuffleboard and laugh about how they don’t need security software.

Okay, sure. The article is good. Make sure to teach the kids not to let in Trojan horsies. And that paragraph above made my giggle a bit. But you know freaking what? My Mac always has been and always will be virus free. I don’t need no stinking security software.